Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Washing"


To make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, Ephesians 5:26

A gardener I am not, but I love one of God’s most beautiful creations; flowers. I do not know the ends and outs of growing flowers. I don’t really know how to lay out a flower bed where the colors all blend together beautifully. I don’t know which species go best together, but with all this I have a flower bed and I put in what I find lovely and enjoy looking at from day to day. There has been some really hot days this spring so I have kept my gardens watered, not wanting any of my lovely blooms to die, On yesterday as I was leaving for work I notice one of my favorite planting was wither. I didn’t have time to stop and water it, I thought why is it withering I watered it last evening. When I returned home in the evening my flower looked dead, oh my I wish I had stop to water it this morning, now it’s dead. I quickly water it hoping to save it and the next day it had bounced back and was looking good. As I was driving to work the Holy Spirit begin speaking to my spirit. He said even though you were watering the plant regularly you were actually only watering the leaves of the plant little water was getting to the soil, thus the roots were not being fed. You know this is how you and a lot people are with the word of God. You and my people go to church on Sundays and read the word but it is all landing on the outside of the soul. It never gets rooted, because you don’t soak in it. Remember God instructs you to mediate upon His word; Write these commandments that I've given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates. (Deuteronomy 6:6-9)Just as the water must get into the soil for the plant to live so must the word get into our hearts and spirits in order for us to live as God’s desires, grow spiritually and show others God working in us and through us. We must take the necessary time to soak in the word, turn it over in our mines, and dissect it until we understand it and it becomes real to us. It is not enough to hear the sermon on Sunday morning if we have forgotten it by Sunday afternoon. How many times have you forgotten the scripture text and topic by the time you return home? How often do you review your notes, study the points given, or take a deep look at the scripture? When you read scripture do you study it until you understand it, do you determine how you need to apply the word to your life? The Holy Spirit reminded me this morning I need to do better in this area. I need to make sure the word is being watered in my life and it is not enough to water its leaves but I must get to the soil of the word. I am the gardener and I am responsible for making sure the roots are watered. I need to be washed in the word of God daily.
This requires
Deep Studying - "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness 1 Timothy 3:16

Prayer - and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.
" Acts 6:4

Meditation - May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Memorization/Learn- Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. Ephesians 6:14-17

Reflection - If I'm sleepless at midnight, I spend the hours in grateful reflection. Psalm 63:6

Application - Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge. Proverbs 23:12


Prayer
Heavenly Father thank You for this gentle reminder to soak myself in Your word to ensure it takes root in my life. Thank You Father God for reminding me when I don’t spend the necessary time to mediate, study, dissect, reflect and apply Your word, teachings, instructions to my life I am only allowing the word to land on the outside of me never reaching my Spirit where when watered it becomes active and alive in my life. Revive me Father just as You revived Your plant by feeding and nourishing me with Your Holy Spirit, my Living Water. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen

3 comments:

GOD'S LADIE said...

Thanks for the wonderful, revelated word. You are right. Daily, our minds shall be renewed and hearts shall be cleaned. This daily cleansing is a must. Thanks again.
Many blessings,
LaTonya

godlover said...

So glad I remembered to check your blog. You're right. A lot of times we water only the leaves and the roots stay dry. We desperately need to be washed in the Word at all times. You convicted me on how much I remember after church. I think most of the time I leave with my roots watered but there are times when I go to church and I don't let the message water my roots. Maybe my roots are busy on that day. Maybe my leaves take all the water and the roots remain dry or maybe they push the water away from the roots. I need to work on that. I need to go back to keeping notes I think and then reviewing my notes later. I need to get that water deep down where it counts. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Marj
http://gdlvr.blogspot.com

God Chaser said...

Marj
ditto
I often leave with watered leaves rather than roots. I take notes but fail to go back and study. The Holy Spirit really convicted me on this one also.