Saturday, July 5, 2008

Beautiful to God



Lesson Two - Beautiful To God
Background reading: Exodus 2, Acts 7, Isaiah 53
Focal Verses:

"It was at this time that Moses was born; and he was lovely in the sight of God, and he was nurtured three months in his father's house. Acts 7:20 NASB

"He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not." Isaiah 53:2-3 NIV

"For the Lord takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the afflicted ones with salvation." Psalm 149:4

Lesson 2 focus on the fact Moses was a beautiful child and this most likely drew Pharaoh’s daughter to him. Jesus according to scripture was most likely not physically beautiful and people were drawn to Him because of His Spirit

My take on the lesson.
Some of the Israelites probably didn’t believe in Christ because they were expecting a conquering warrior someone who most likely would draw people to Him because of His strong physical presence. Jesus took on our ugliness according to the lesson and when we accept Him as our Savior we become beautiful in God’s eyes. Some of us have difficulty accepting we are beautiful. Beauty in the eyes of God is different from the world’s definition, and we can give thanks for this. We must remember God does not look at the physical but at the heart of a woman. When God looks at your heart what does He see and when the world look at your heart what beauty do it sees?

What really resonated with me was “We are told in God's word that when we are saved, we are seated in the heavenlies. (Ephesians 2:6) So spiritually speaking, we are like Eva Gabor in Green Acres - high society meets country living. We are City Girls, high-born daughters of the King and when people look at us they are to see peace and joy in our countenance in such a measure they will say, "Wow, she isn't from around here is she? That, girls, is the kind of gorgeous we are after. “ (See the lesson for why we are City girls)
When people see me I want them to see a City Girl, a woman who exhibits peace and joy in addition to love and kindness.

Following are discussion questions for the lesson. Click on the icon to the right and it will take you to the full lesson.
Discussion Questions:
What is your initial response when anyone suggests you are beautiful? Usually when I am told I am beautiful people are talking about my ways, behaviors rather than my physical appearance. This I can usually accept without difficulty because I know it is God working in me.
Do you find you engage in a lot of negative 'self-talk'? How much of your thought life does this form of thinking consume? Occasionally but not often when it comes to physical appearance, even though I am no beauty I hope the inner me shines through. But there are days I look in the mirror and think you look good and there are days I may say something less flattering. I am growing and I know I am wonderfully made and when I am living righteously I am beautiful in God’s eyes. I am focusing more on the inside but I try to take care of the physical appearance and yes I probably spend too much time in this area.
What is the most radical transformation you've witnessed in an individual after they were born again? It's okay to tell about your own! No answer for this one
The imagery of being a City Girl has absolutely changed the way I perceive my worth before God. Does it yours? Will you receive this truth and let it boost your righteous confidence? Yes

I pray when we look in the mirror, we will learn to see what God sees and love who He loves. Hear me well - You Are Beautiful!! You will act out what you believe - Let the world see your 'City Girl! The Preacher’s Wife

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are doing your study too! Nice to 'meet' you. I look forward to getting to know you better through your blogs. I am new to blogging and am learning as I go. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love your blog it's beautiful and written from the heart! Thanks for your interest in WFW! :) I'll add you to the list asap!

(and you've got me interested in your study you're doing here!!)

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I'm so glad you are doing this study...it's great to meet you! :)

eph2810 said...

Some days I really have to be reminded that I am made in His image and that I am beautiful in the eyes of my Heavenly Father...
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Lisa's study...

Be blessed today and always...

Leaon Mary said...

i LOVE IT! I want to print all of this out and read and re-read.
Much Love,
Lea
<*)))><