Saturday, July 19, 2008

I am so you don't have to Be. Lesson Five - "I Was"


Key Passages: Exodus 2 Hebrews 11 Acts 7
In this lesson Moses leaves Egypt and goes into the desert. We address issues of faith, contentment and belonging.
1-Moses left Egypt in Faith
2-Moses chose to be content in his circumstances living in Midian, s strange country.

My thoughts from the lesson: When we become citizens of heaven and become Christ followers earth becomes a strange land we no longer adhere to, follow its’ ways. We no longer belong for we are no longer like this world. The more God mold and shape us and the more we look like God and the less we look like the world we feel more of a stranger and increase our longing for the city not made be hands.

When we find ourselves in the desert we don’t have to go into a state of despair. The desert is a place of faith, preparation and strength- God’s strength (not mine) and knowing God. (The Preacher’s Wife)
My life scripture for this season is to know God more intimately and deeply, to recognize, perceive and understand the wonders of His person more strongly and clearly and to know the power out flowing from His resurrection and so share in His suffering that I am continually transformed in spirit into His likeness. The first time I was in the desert I hated it, I felt so disconnected from God and my cries to bring me out appeared to be unheard and because of this I can’t tell you I have or had a real desire to return. Since my first experience God has returned me to the desert for a short period of time but if the time ever comes again I will know and understand what I didn’t before there I will be in a stage of preparation, and I will get to know the God I serve and see His strength reign in my life. No one prepared me for my previous desert experiences so for those of you who have never been there know God is with you and growing you for His perfect plan and purpose.
The Preacher’s Wife said we had to experience in order to be able to share. Here is my moment of sharing. For the full lesson click here.

Discussion Questions:

1. Have you ever found yourself 'in faith' yet bewildered or demoralized?
Yes I have and I admit it took me a while to get over my devastation. I could not understand how I so clearly miss hearing God. My faith was strong and I believe I was moving just as God wanting me to. Imagine my shock as I discovered I was wrong and my plans were not Gods’ plans for me. I was eventually able to accept and know God had a better plan for me. Like Moses “I WAS” discovering “I AM”

2. Do you consider yourself content? Would you describe it as Decidedly Content or Dreamily Content?
This one is a little more difficult. Ladies I struggled with this one, as I initially thought I was content both decidedly and dreamily. There are areas in which I am content but upon carefully reflection I draw the conclusion I am not content with where I am in ministry and not fully with my job. I want to do more in both areas.

3. If you are not content, are there circumstances that keep you from this feeling?
With work yes, with ministry I’m not sure can there be a feeling of having done all God would have me to do-so I guess I am my own circumstance- I would love to hear if others are content in their ministry work and opportunities. Or do we all carry this feeling of I can be or should be doing more for God. For additional thoughts about Contentment there is an article at Women Online. I found it right after completing this study-I see it as the Holy Spirit at work-giving me additional answers to my own questions.

4. Have you ever found yourself in a place where you looked back on a period of your Christian walk and believed a great opportunity passed you by? Yes, a number of times.

5. Do you ever believe your faith was stronger in an earlier time in your Christianity and find yourself floundering now?
No I don’t believe this right now in my life, but there have been times in my life when I have felt this way.

6. Can you recognize that this season may be one of great preparation instead of a period of "I Was"?
I hope I can now because I have grown in my knowledge and understanding of God. I am sure the test will come and I will see how I handle it.

No comments: